Two distinct delivery channels
Projects delivers data according to two distinct channels:
- Main Data which covers the most original and policy relevant results produced by ESPON Projects. It is based on the concept of key indicator and on standard territorial nomenclatures. It is supplemented with well-structured metadata. Data as well as metadata goes through a strict quality check procedure;
- Other Data which covers all other statistical and geospatial data produced by ESPON Projects. It is supplemented with light metadata.
Figure 1 describes the two channels, the type of indicators which they are built upon, the type of output which they generate and the final location of these data on the ESPON DB Portal.
The first task of the Project is to decide which data will be delivered according to which procedure.
The Main Data channel
The Main Data procedure aims at the collection of key indicators which reflects the end-results of ESPON projects. A key indicator is:
- an innovative policy-relevant indicator
- presented in a standard territorial nomenclature
- whose calculation process is well-documented (possibly with other so-called background indicators) and quality checked
- which covers (or aimed to cover) the entire ESPON space (EU28+4) or a policy-relevant portion of the ESPON space (macro-regions, transnational cooperation areas aka TCA)
Each Project is advised to select up to 4-5 key indicators which reflect the end-result of the project. Key indicators should be delivered together with their associated background indicators (see definitions below).
Key (as well as background) indicators, sources and methods are delivered through the ESPON 2020 Data and Metadata Upload System (hereafter the Upload interface).
Key and background indicators are made available through the Search and Download tab of the ESPON 2020 Database Portal.
The delivery process is further described in the Main Data section of this manual.
The Other Data channel
The Other Data procedure aims at the collection of any other data/indicators which the Project produced. Together with indicators uploaded as Main Data, Other Data elements are gathered in a Project Archive which is made accessible through the project archive tab of the ESPON 2020 Database.
One or multiple elements can be uploaded by the Project on the Upload interface. Each element contains one or several files. Each element is complemented by a description which is added by the Project through the Upload interface (metadata).
An Other Data element may contain:
- statistical data in .xls format for which an Other Data template is available
- spatial data, preferably as shapefiles (for vector) or GeoTIFF (for raster).
The delivery process is further described in the Other Data section of this manual.